Sharing a File
You can allow anyone to access your file stored in OBS by sharing the temporary URL of the file.
File sharing is temporary. All shared URLs are temporary with a validity period.
A temporary URL consists of the access domain name and the temporary authentication information of a file. Example:
The temporary authentication information contains the AccessKeyId, Expires, x-obs-security-token, and Signature parameters. AccessKeyId, x-obs-security-token, and Signature are used for authentication. The Expires parameter specifies the validity period of the authentication. For more information about temporary authentication methods and parameters, see Authentication of Signature in a URL in OBS API Reference.
After an object is shared on OBS Console, the system will generate a URL that contains the temporary authentication information, valid for five minutes since its generation by default. Each time you change the validity period of a URL, OBS obtains the authentication information again to generate a new URL for sharing, which takes effect since the time when the validity period is changed.
Limitations and Constraints
- An object shared from OBS Console can be valid for one minute to 18 hours. If you need a longer validity period for a shared object, use the client tool OBS Browser+ that allows a validity period of up to one year. If you want a shared object permanently valid, use a bucket policy to grant anonymous users public read permissions on the object by referring to Granting Public Read Permissions on Objects to Anonymous Users.
- Only buckets of version 3.0 support file sharing. You can view the bucket version in the Basic Information area on the Overview page of a bucket.
- Encrypted objects cannot be shared.
- Archive objects can be shared only after they have been restored.
- File sharing is available in all regions.
- In the navigation pane of OBS Console, choose Object Storage.
- In the bucket list, click the bucket name you want. The Objects page is displayed.
- Locate the file to be shared and click Share under the Operation column. The dialog box as given in Figure 1 is displayed.
Once the Share File dialog box is opened, the URL is effective and valid for five minutes by default. If you change the validity period, the authentication information in the URL changes accordingly, and the URL's new validity period starts upon the change.
- Operate the URL as follows:
- Click Open URL to preview the file on a new page or directly download it to your default download path.
- Click Copy Link to share the link to others for them to access this file using a browser.
- Click Copy Path to share the file path to users who have access permissions to the bucket. The users then can search for the file by pasting the shared path to the search box of the bucket.
Within the validity period of a URL, any user who has the URL can access the file.
Was this page helpful?Provide feedback
For any further questions, feel free to contact us through the chatbot.Chatbot