Help Center> Cloud Backup and Recovery> User Guide> Backup Management> Using a Backup to Create an Image
Updated on 2023-06-02 GMT+08:00
Using a Backup to Create an Image
CBR allows you to create images using ECS backups. You can use the images to provision ECSs to rapidly restore service running environments.
- The following operations have been performed:
- You have optimized the Linux ECS (referring to Optimizing a Linux Private Image) and installed Cloud-Init (referring to Installing Cloud-Init).
- You have optimized the Windows ECS (referring to Optimizing a Windows Private Image) and installed Cloudbase-Init (referring to Installing and Configuring Cloudbase-Init).
- The backup is in the Available state or in the Creating state which is marked with Image can be created.
Once a backup creation starts, the backup enters the Creating state. After a period of time, a message stating "Image can be created" is displayed under Creating. In this case, the backup can be used for creating an image, even though it is still being created and cannot be used for restoration.
- The backup contains the system disk data.
- Only ECS backups can be used to create images.
- Images created using a backup are the same, so CBR allows you to use a backup to create only one full-ECS image that contains the whole data of the system disk and data disks of an ECS, in order to save the image quota. After an image is created, you can use the image to provision multiple ECSs in a batch.
- A backup with an image created cannot be deleted directly. To delete such a backup, delete its image first. If a backup is automatically generated based on a backup policy and the backup has been used to create an image, the backup will not be counted as a retained backup and will not be deleted automatically.
- A backup is compressed when it is used to create an image, so the size of the generated image may be smaller than the backup size.
- Log in to CBR Console.
- Log in to the management console.
- Click in the upper left corner and select your region and project.
- Click and choose Storage > Cloud Backup and Recovery. Select a backup type from the left navigation pane.
- Click the Backups tab. Locate the desired backup. For details, see Viewing a Backup.
- In the row of the backup, choose More > Create Image.
- Create an image by referring to Creating a Full-ECS Image from a CBR Backup in the Image Management Service User Guide.
- Use the image to provision ECSs when needed. For details, see Creating an ECS from an Image in the Image Management Service User Guide.
Was this page helpful?Provide feedback
Thank you very much for your feedback. We will continue working to improve the documentation.
The system is busy. Please try again later.
For any further questions, feel free to contact us through the chatbot.Chatbot