How Does a Cloud Database Perform a Primary/Standby Switchover?
RDS provides the high availability. Select the primary/standby mode.
Also called an unplanned handover. If the primary DB instance fails, the system will automatically switch to the standby DB instance within 5 minutes. No human intervention is required. The connection IP address remains unchanged. DB instances cannot be accessed during the failover. You need to configure automatic reconnections between applications and RDS DB instances to ensure near-continuous availability.
Also called a planned handover. When a DB instance is running properly, you can manually perform a primary/standby switchover if it is needed.
- Log in to the management console.
- Click in the upper left corner and select a region and a project.
- Click in the upper left corner of the page and choose Database > Relational Database Service. The RDS console is displayed.
- On the Instance Management page, click the target DB instance.
- In the DB Information area on the displayed Basic Information page, click Switch in the DB Instance Type field.
Alternatively, click in the DB instance topology on the Basic Information page to manually trigger a primary/standby switchover.
A primary/standby switchover may cause service interruption for some seconds or minutes (depending on the replication delay). If the replication delay is too long, a small amount of data may be lost. To prevent traffic congestion, perform a switchover during off-peak hours.
- If you have enabled the operation protection function, click Start Verification in the displayed dialog box. On the displayed page, click Send Code, enter the obtained verification code, and click Verify to close the page.
Two-factor authentication improves the security of your account and cloud product. For details about how to enable operation protection, see the Identity and Access Management User Guide.
- In the Switch Primary/Standby Instances dialog box, click Yes to switch between the primary and standby DB instances.
If the replication status is Available and the replication delay is greater than 300s, the primary/standby switchover task cannot be delivered.
- After a switchover is successful, you can view and manage the DB instance on the Instance Management page.
- During the switchover process, the DB instance status is Switchover in progress.
- In the upper right corner of the DB instance list, click to refresh the list. After the switchover is complete, the DB instance status will become Available