Manually Switching Between Primary and Standby DB Instances
If you choose to create primary/standby DB instances, RDS will create a primary DB instance and a synchronous standby DB instance in the same region. You can access only the primary DB instance. The standby instance serves as a backup. You can manually promote the standby DB instance to the new primary instance for failover support.
- A DB instance is running properly.
- The replication relationship between the primary and standby instances is normal.
- Log in to the management console.
- Click in the upper left corner and select a region and a project.
- Click Service List. Under Database, click RDS. The RDS console is displayed.
- On the Instance Management page, click the target DB instance.
- In the DB Information area on the displayed Basic Information page, click Switch in the DB Instance Type field.
Alternatively, click in the DB instance topology on the Basic Information page to perform a primary/standby switchover.
Primary/standby switchover may cause service interruption for some seconds or minutes (determined by the replication delay). If the primary/standby synchronization delay is too long, a small amount of data may get lost. After the switchover completes, the DB instance needs to be warmed up to prevent congestion during peak hours.
- If you have enabled the operation protection function, click Start Verification in the displayed dialog box. On the displayed page, click Send Code, enter the obtained verification code, and click Verify to close the page.
Second authentication is required to improve the security of your account and cloud product. For details about how to enable operation protection, see the Identity and Access Management User Guide.
- In the Switch Primary/Standby Instances dialog box, click Yes to switch between the primary and standby DB instances.
If the replication status is Available and the replication delay is greater than 300s, the primary/standby switchover task cannot be delivered.
- After a switchover is successful, you can view and manage the DB instance on the Instance Management page.
- During the switchover process, the DB instance status is Switchover in progress.
- In the upper right corner of the DB instance list, click to refresh the list. After the switchover is successful, the DB instance status will become Available