Replicating a Backup Across Regions
CBR enables you to replicate server backups and SFS Turbo backups from one region to another. In the destination region:
- Replicas of server backups can be used to create images and provision servers.
- Replicas of SFS Turbo backups can be used to create file systems.
With cross-region replication, you can quickly deploy services in a different region. Data on the new resource in the destination region is the same as that on the original resource when you took the backup.
You can replicate backups in either of the following methods on CBR Console:
- Select a backup from the backup list and manually perform a replication.
- Select a backup vault and manually replicate it. Alternatively, you can configure a replication policy to periodically replicate backups that have not been replicated or failed to be replicated to the destination region.
This section uses the first method to describe how to replicate a backup. For details about the second method, see Replicating a Vault.
The replication constraints apply to both replication methods.
- Cloud disk backups cannot be replicated to other regions.
- Replication is currently available only in the CN-Hong Kong, AP-Singapore, and AP-Bangkok regions.
- A server backup can be replicated only when it meets all the following conditions:
- It is an ECS backup.
- It contains system disk data.
- It is in the Available state.
- Only backups or backup vaults can be replicated. Replicated backups and vaults cannot be replicated again but their replicas can be used to create images or SFS Turbo file systems.
- A backup can be replicated to multiple regions but can have only one replica in each destination region. The replication rule varies with the replication method:
- Manual replication: A backup can be manually replicated to the destination region as long as it has no replica in that region. A backup can be manually replicated again if its replica in the destination region has been deleted.
- Policy-based replication: A backup can only be automatically replicated to a destination region once. It cannot be automatically replicated to that region again, even if its replica has been deleted.
- Only replication-supported regions can be selected as destination regions.
- Log in to CBR Console.
- Log in to the management console.
- Click in the upper left corner and select your region and project.
- Click and choose Storage > Cloud Backup and Recovery. Select a backup type from the left navigation pane.
- Click the Backups tab and locate the desired backup. For details, see Viewing a Backup.
- Choose More > Create Replica in the Operation column of the backup. See Figure 1.
- In the displayed dialog box, configure the parameters as described in Table 1.
Table 1 Parameter description
A name must contain 1 to 64 characters including digits, letters, underscores (_), or hyphens (-).
It cannot exceed 255 characters.
Region to which the backup is replicated
Only the regions that support replication will be displayed.
- If the selected region contains only one project, you can directly select the region name.
- If the selected region has multiple projects, the default project of the region is selected. You can select another project if needed.
A replication vault in the destination region
You can replicate backups to vaults in multiple destination regions. Creating replica will replicate all backups in the source vault to the destination vault.
The traffic for cross-region replication is the size of the replicated backup.
- Click OK.
- After the replication is complete, you can switch to the destination region to view generated replicas. For details, see Viewing a Backup. You can then use replicas to create images.
Was this page helpful?Provide feedback
For any further questions, feel free to contact us through the chatbot.Chatbot