What Are the Differences Between Yearly/Monthly and Pay-per-Use Billing Modes?
A prepaid billing mode in which an ECS will be billed based on the service duration. This cost-effective mode is ideal when the duration of ECS usage is predictable.
- A created yearly/monthly ECS cannot be deleted. If such an ECS is not required any more, unsubscribe it. To do so, switch to the Elastic Cloud Server page, locate the target ECS, click More in the Operation column, and select Unsubscribe from the drop-down list.
- After detaching a system disk that is bought during ECS creation, you can only attach it to the original ECS if you want to use it as the system disk. If the disk is to be used as a data disk, you can attach it to any ECS.
- After detaching a data disk that is bought during ECS creation, you can only attach it to the original ECS as a data disk.
A postpaid billing mode in which an ECS will be billed based on usage frequency and duration. ECSs are billed by second. The system generates a bill every hour based on usage frequency and duration and deducts the billed amount from the account balance. A pay-per-use ECS can be provisioned and deleted at any time.
In the pay-per-use billing mode, ECSs are billed by second. The price per second of each type of ECS can be obtained by dividing their hourly price by 3600. Obtain the hourly price on the Product Pricing Details page.
- If the service duration is 0.5 hours, the fee is $0.34 USD (0.68/3600 x 30 x 60).
- If the service duration is 1 hour, the fee is $0.68 USD (0.68 x 1).
- If the service duration is 1.5 hours, the fee is $1.02 USD (0.68/3600 x 90 x 60).
If a pay-per-use ECS is stopped and then restarted, the startup may fail due to insufficient resources. In such a case, wait several minutes before attempting another restart or change the ECS flavor.
Which One Is More Cost-Effective?
The yearly/monthly payment is more cost-effective than the pay-per-use payment in a certain period of time. Yearly/Monthly is ideal when the duration of ECS usage is predictable. Pay-per-use is ideal when you want more flexibility and control on ECS usage. Pay-per-use ECSs can be provisioned or deleted at any time.