Upgrading the Minor Version of a DB Instance
RDS for Microsoft SQL Server supports automatic minor version upgrades, which can improve performance, add new functions, and fix bugs.
When a new minor version is released on HUAWEI CLOUD, you will see Upgrade minor version in the DB Engine Version column on the Instance Management page, as shown in Figure 1. You can click Upgrade minor version to go to the Scheduled Task page and authorize the minor version upgrade task. The minor version upgrade is available only for users with the required permission. You can contact customer service to apply for the permission.
- To upgrade a minor version of a Microsoft SQL Server DB instance, you need to switch to the Scheduled Task page of the task center and authorize the upgrade task, so that the minor version will be automatically upgraded in the maintenance window.
- You can view minor version upgrade information on the Scheduled Task page of the task center.
- Upgrading the minor version will reboot the Microsoft SQL Server DB instance. During the upgrade, the network will be intermittently disconnected for multiple times. Therefore, you are advised to set the maintenance time window to off-peak hours.
- The minor version cannot be downgraded after the upgrade is complete.
- When you upgrade the minor version of a primary DB instance, the minor versions of read replicas (if any) will also be upgraded automatically. Perform the upgrade during off-peak hours because the DB instance will be rebooted after the upgrade is complete. (Minor versions of read replicas cannot be upgraded separately.)
The minor version cannot be upgraded for DB instances with abnormal nodes.
- Log in to the management console.
- Click in the upper left corner and select a region and a project.
- Click Service List. Under Database, click RDS. The RDS console is displayed.
- On the Instance Management page, click the target DB instance.
- In the DB Information area on the Basic Information page, click Upgrade in the DB Engine Version field.
Figure 2 Upgrading the minor version
- In the displayed dialog box, click OK to go to the Scheduled Tasks page.
- Locate the target minor version upgrade task and click Authorize in the Operation column. In the displayed dialog box, select a maintenance window, select the check box, and click Yes.
- After the task is authorized successfully, it will be executed as scheduled within the maintenance window.
- The DB instance will be rebooted during the task execution, which causes service interruption. To prevent service interruption, you are advised to set the maintenance window to off-peak hours. For details about how to change the maintenance window, see Changing the Maintenance Window.
- Changing the maintenance window does not affect the execution time of the scheduled tasks in the original maintenance period.