Replicating a Backup
This section describes how to replicate a manual or an automated backup. The new backup must have a different name from that of the original backup.
You can replicate backups and use them only in the same region.
Backup Retention Policy
- If a DB instance is deleted, the automated backups created for it are also deleted.
- If the automated backup policy is enabled, the automated backups will be deleted after the backup retention period expires.
- If you want to retain the automated backups for a long time, you can replicate them to generate manual backups, which will be always retained unless you delete them.
- If storage space used for manual backups exceeds the default storage space, additional RDS storage costs may incur.
- Log in to the management console.
- Click in the upper left corner and select a region and a project.
- Click Service List. Under Database, click RDS. The RDS console is displayed.
- On the Instance Management page, click the target DB instance. On the Backups & Restorations page, locate the target backup to be replicated and click Replicate in the Operation column.
Alternatively, choose Backup Management in the navigation pane on the left. On the displayed page, locate the target backup to be replicated and click Replicate in the Operation column.
- In the displayed dialog box, enter a new backup name and description and click OK.
- The backup name must consist of 4 to 64 characters and start with a letter. It can contain only uppercase letters, lowercase letters, digits, hyphens (-), and underscores (_).
- The description consists of a maximum of 256 characters and cannot contain the following special characters: >!<"&'=
- After the new backup has been created, you can view and manage it on the Backup Management page.