How Do I Configure a Public Domain Name and a Private Domain Name for My Website?
You can use a domain name to route traffic over the Internet or within VPCs.
Private DNS servers translate domain names in VPCs and forward DNS queries for public domain names to public DNS servers. The following is an example that shows how an ECS accesses a website using a domain name.
- If the domain name is a private domain name you customize on the DNS console or is the domain name of a Huawei Cloud service, the private DNS server directly returns the resolution result.
- If the domain name has been registered with a domain name registrar, the private DNS server forwards the request to a public DNS server (for example, DNS server 220.127.116.11) and then returns the resolution result to the ECS.
If the public domain name is the same as the private domain name, requests to the public domain name will be handled by a private DNS server. If no result is found, the private DNS server will return a message indicating that no record is found and will not forward the request to the public DNS server.
To resolve this issue, use a subdomain of the public domain name as the private domain name and add record sets for the subdomain.
If the public domain name is example.com, create a private zone 123.example.com and configure record sets for it. In this way, requests to 123.example.com and all its subdomains (*.123.example.com) are processed by the private DNS server, and requests to example.com and other subdomains are forwarded to the public DNS server.
- If Huawei Cloud DNS is used for domain name resolution over public networks, you can create a public zone example.com and add record sets for it. For details, see Routing Internet Traffic to a Website.
- If you select another DNS service provider, see the help documentation of that provider.
- For details about how to configure a private zone for subdomain 123.example.com on the DNS console, see Routing Traffic Within VPCs.
Private Zones FAQs
- Why Is a Message Indicating Conflict with an Existing Record Set Displayed When I Add a Record Set?
- How Do I Change Default DNS Servers of an ECS to Private DNS Servers Provided by the DNS Service?
- How Can I Access an ECS Using Its Host Name?
- How Can I Configure a PTR Record to Map the IP Address of an ECS to a Domain Name?
- How Do I Configure a Public Domain Name and a Private Domain Name for My Website?
- Can I Use Private Domain Names Across Regions?
- Do I Need to Register Private Domain Names?
- Will a Deleted VPC Be Automatically Disassociated from the Private Zone?
- Are Private DNS Server Addresses the Same for All Users?
- What Are the Restrictions on Concurrent Private DNS Requests?